My family and I just found out that my Grandfather, “Pop-Pop” (My Dad’s Dad) died today. In my mind he is a legend and he will be deeply missed by the whole Genova clan. There are a million things that make him a legend and I’m sure many more will come out now that we are going to celebrate his life, but I wanted to take a moment to give the world 10 reasons why he is a legend to me.
- “Pop-Pop Fresh” – You know a guy is a legend when you name a particular smell after him. Pop-Pop smelled so fresh that myself and my siblings have spent a lifetime trying to imitate that freshness. He was the freshest.
- The Greatest Generation– Pop-Pop was a member of “The Greatest Generation”- enough said.
- Modesty-He never talked about himself or his accomplishments. We live in a world where it can seem to be all about who you know and what you have accomplished. He never bragged about the things he had done. He just did them.
- “Loose lips sink ships”– One of his most famous lines about the dangers of talking too much.
- Wittiness– He was one of the wittiest people you will ever meet. He always had a funny joke or story ready to go to lighten the mood even as his health faltered.
- Palermo– Being the son of a Sicilian from Palermo, Italy automatically gives you some “legend” status.
- Honest Hard Worker– Pop-Pop was a brilliant civil Engineer and he worked well into his sixties. One time my Dad asked him how to hit a golf ball further and his response was simply, “Distance is equal to Mass times Velocity”. He along with his wife, Regina “Nanny” raised 6 kids and they kept it together! He also raised my Dad who is a legend in his own right.
- Drama Free– Life comes with a lot of drama and Pop-Pop was a wizard when it came to not getting involved in the drama. Remember the mantra: “loose lips sink ships.”
- Prayer & Faith– I just found this out recently but he and his wife of over 60 years said their prayers every night together.
- He had this to say about my wife: “She’s a fine woman”.- My wife, La Micia and I spent more time in New York as he has gotten sicker and they got to know each other. Getting this type of a blessing from your grandfather is epic in biblical proportions!
Our beloved Pop-Pop was an awesome man who I have a ton of respect for and if you ever got to spend time with him you wouldn’t leave without laughing. He was a family man, he was an honest man, and he was a legend. I am so sad to see him go, but I’m excited that we can celebrate his life.
Thanks to everyone for your prayers and support during this time.